DEPARTMENT OF POWER ELECTRONICS & DRIVES
The Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering was started in the year 2004 and the Department offers Master of Engineering in Power Electronics and Drives from 2010 onwards. The Department is steered by a well qualified and dedicated group of Faculty members imparting quality education to the students.
The Department of Power Electronics and Drives offers theoretical and practical expertise to the M.E. Students. The Laboratories are well equipped with sophisticated equipments like Semi Converter, Full Converter, MOSFER & IGBT Based Choppers, IGBT based single phase Inverter which cater to the need of present day Industries.
To become a world class attractive academic centre to transform young minds for real world innovations.
- To provide quality education through professionals and facilities.
- To inculcate moral and ethical values among faculties and students.
- To produce outstanding, innovative Electrical Engineers.
1. PREPARATION AND CORE COMPETENCE (PEO 1)
To prepare the graduates in the field of Electrical Engineering and motivate them to succeed in industries through global and rigorous education as well as to prepare the graduates for flourishing in professional studies by providing in-depth education in Electrical and Electronics Engineering and equip them with both technical and communication skills.
2. BREADTH AND PROFESSIONALISM (PEO 2)
To prepare the students to have the knowledge, skills and attitude that will allow them to make tangible contributions and meet new technical challenges in the area of Electrical and Electronics Engineering as well as to prepare the graduates in developing their professional skills through activities such as professional training, participation in conferences and membership in professional societies.
3. LEARNING ABILITY (PEO 3)
To prepare the graduates with an ability to use modern engineering techniques, importance of lifelong learning and tools to fulfill societal needs.
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, Engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design / Development of Solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health & safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life–long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOMES
- An ability to use software for design, simulation & analysis of electrical systems.
- An ability to analyze design & implement the knowledge from Control & Instrumentation systems, communication & software systems in the field of electrical energy generation.
|2||S.S.Smitha||Assistant Professor||M.E ., MBA., M.I.S.T.E.|
|3||E.JessyMol||Assistant Professor||M.E ., MBA., M.I.S.T.E.|
|4||J.Jayalakshmi||Assistant Professor||M.E., (Ph.D).|
|7||S.Suresh||Assistant Professor||M.E., (Ph.D).|
|1||S. Vinu||B.E.||Pro-term Lecturer|
|2||S.Christilda Gnana Bell||B.E.||Pro-term Lecturer|
- Power Electronics and Electrical Circuits Lab
- Electrical Drives Lab
- Add-on Course
- Sports Activities
- Counseling-Faculty Advisor
- Placement Training
- Quants and Reasoning
- GATE and TANCET
- Programming Languages
LIST OF RESEARCH SCHOLORS
- N.M.Godwin Dhas
- C.Gnana Thilaka
- E.Jessy Mol
- G. Isha
LIST OF ISTE MEMBERS
- Dr. M.Mary Linda
- C. Gnana Thilaka
- G.Preeta Shirley
- S.S. Smitha
- E. Jessy Mol
LIST OF IEEE MEMBERS
- Dr. M. Mary Linda
- Dr.P. Jagatheeswari
- T. A. Sivakumar
- J. Jayalakshmi
- D.P.S Jogaline Christina
- P.S. Delbha
- G.Pratheep Kumar
INDUSTRIAL VISIT DETAILS
|ACADEMIC YEAR||PLACES VISITED|
|2017-2018||1. Kaynes Technologies, Mysore|
|2016-2017||1. Central Power Research Institute, Bangalore and Visveswarya Technological Museum, Bangalore
2. Traco Cable Pvt. Ltd. Cochin.
3. Cochin Port
4. Kaynes Technologies, Mysore
|2015-2016||1. Papanasam Hydro Power Station
2. Kallada Power Generation Station, Thenmala
3. Traco Cable Pvt. Ltd. Cochin.
|2014-2015||1. Kodaiyar Hydro Power Station
2. Central Power Research Institute, Bangalore and Visveswarya Technological Museum, Bangalore
|Core subjects||Resource person from Industry||PJCE Faculty||Topics Covered|
|Power plant Engineering||Mr. Anwarkalam, Rtd. J.E from TNEB||–||Power plant and Boilers|
|Transmission and Distribution||Shri. Nambi Narayanan from ISRO||–||Insulation Systems|
|Electrical Machines||Ms. Sundari Ramakrishnan from U.S. Technologies||–||Manufacturing procedures for Various Machine Parts|
|High voltage direct current transmission||Dr. L.Kalaivani, Associate Professor / EEE National Engineering College, Kovilpatti||–||Compensation & Utilization of Harmonics|
|Biomedical Instrumentation||Dr. P.Annapandi, Professor and Head/ EEE, Dr.Sivanthi Adiithanar College of Engineering||–||Bio Sensors|
|Communication Engineering||Dr. C.Ajees Kumar, Professor / EEE Arunachala College of Engineering for Women, Nagercoil||–||Sonar and Acoustic Wave Communication|
|Electrical Machines||Dr. P.N.Raj Narayanan, Professor / EEE Theni Kammavar College of Engineering, Theni||–||Axial field Electrical Machines|
|Transmission and Distribution||Dr. Marseline Beno, Professor/ St. Xaviers College of Engineering||–||Smart Grid And Micro Grid|
|Computer Networks||C. Sreedevi, Professor / MIT Chennai||–||Mobile networks|
|Solid State Drives||Prof. K.S.Pillai Visiting professor / PET Engineering College, Vallior||–||Electrical drives in power system|
|Solid State Drives||–||Ms.Rashmi, AP/EEE Trained 4 weeks program in VI Microsystems||Energy efficient Drives|
|Special Electrical Machines||–||Ms. Smitha.S.S, AP/EEE, trained 45 days in ISRO||Usage of BLDC motors in Robots|
|Power Electronics||–||Mr. Jasper.J., ASP/EEE, trained 30 days in PETROFAC||core components|
|Electric Energy Generation Utilisation And Conservation||6 students from III EEE deputed to Papanasam powerhouse for Summer training on Power generation from water|
|Electric Energy Generation Utilisation And Conservation||6 students from II EEE deputed to Kothayar powerhouse for Summer training on Power generation from water|
|Power Electronics||6 students from IV EEE deputed to VI Microsystems for Summer training on Design of Compensators|
- Publication of technical magazine “STARKE 2K17” was released during academic year 2016-2017
- Publication of technical magazine “ELECTROFORZA 14” was released during academic year 2013-2014.
- Publication of technical magazine “ELECTROFORZA 2K13” was released during academic year 2012-2013.
- Publication of technical magazine “ELECTROFORZA 2012” was released during academic year 2010-2011.
- Publication of News Letter “RADAR” was started from the academic year 2011-2012. The annual publication is released every year.
Department of Electrical and Electronics has organized a national level technical symposium STARKE 2K17 on 03rd March 2017. More than 60 students from various colleges participated and presented their paper. K.Mohan Dhas, Deputy General Manager-HR Renault Nissan Technology Business center, India.
|S.No||Name of the Student||CGPA||Rank||PG/UG||Year|
|4||Prijin Rani D J||8.68||24||PG||2015-2016|
|7||I. David Immanuel Prince||8.5||38||PG||2014-2015|